A sample text widget

Etiam pulvinar consectetur dolor sed malesuada. Ut convallis euismod dolor nec pretium. Nunc ut tristique massa.

Nam sodales mi vitae dolor ullamcorper et vulputate enim accumsan. Morbi orci magna, tincidunt vitae molestie nec, molestie at mi. Nulla nulla lorem, suscipit in posuere in, interdum non magna.

2006 San Diego 100

Another little race report …

SD100 was nice again. The organization wasn’t as good as when Paul was RD (course not as well marked – bunch of runners got lost – etc) but still a fun race. Weather was perfect (sunny but with a cool wind during the day, cold but not very cold at night). Karl set an amazing course record (15:48) and the finisher rate was great (70%). They also removed a lot of loose rocks from the trail.

Now my story: I started out the race feeling ok. I didn’t get my usual pre-race massage (vacation), and my legs were still a bit complaining, but I felt pretty energetic. Early on I hooked up with Pete Reily, a triathlete (9:30 IM) doing his first 100m ultra. Really nice guy, fellow physicist. I mentioned a couple of times I would be too slow for him, but he thought it was good to pace. We ran together nearly 20 miles, at about a 20 hour pace – I bet you see where this is going. Pete btw finished in 22 something, great job! Anyways, I was at mile 32 in about 6:45 and would of course pay for that soon … I felt I had overdone it, and I was tired and my legs were quite achy. Worse, once I hit the downhills (the course is climb, rolling, drop, same back), my knee started hurting (not IT band initially, more like runner’s knee) significantly. I reached the turnaround in 10:45 – still 45 minutes faster than last year, however with serious knee issues, walking a lot of the downhill. At this point I guess I could have dropped, but I figured that if I dropped now, I really would have to do Javelina, and if I was injured (or the knee pain persisted), my chance of dropping there would be large, thus giving me two DNFs. No good. Anyways, go figure, I decided to try to tough it out on the way back. Uphill was pretty good. In the night I started feeling a bit nauseated, and I was very hesitant to run, bc now both my knees were hurting (left it was IT band, right it was the runner’s knee). I figured I slowed down a lot and totally lost the will to push it, but I still felt giving up was out of the question. Interestingly I met a nice guy I met at the Bear and felt immediately much stronger, but he lost me on a downhill where I fell into a walk, and I felt worse again. Clearly a pacer would have helped. Anyways, I walked nearly all of the second half, and the last 6 miles were very painful – not running made my legs quite stiff and hurting badly. I guess I would have felt better if I would have ran some of the downhill! Anyways, I finished in 27:25, just minutes ahead of Catra, nearly an hour slower than last year! But I think I am uninjured, and I am proud I pushed through this very tedious second half, maybe the hardest and most frustrating race so far! Catra was also impressed that I didn’t give up despite missing my¬† time goal (I was hoping for 25-26 hours), that felt nice! Of course she herself still had bladder problems and peed blood … and finished, crazy girl! Anyways, I was CERTAIN I would skip Javelina, since “my body is telling me it’s enough for now”, but 2 days later, I already forgot all the misery, and short of illness I will see some of you guys there!

Comments are closed.